Good Music We Can Know

Friday, December 6, 2013

A Savage Toy Recommendation: The Tropicals- Urumbamba (1972)


Of all the incredible, one-of-a-kind treasures over at Boxes of Toys, Urubamba is a major highlight for folks, like myself, on the eternal exotica hunt.  Just in case any of you in my readership were unaware of the business over at Boxes of Toys, it's sort of my solemn duty to tip you to this thrilling LP of Italian library exotica.

It's got this classic, very cool sound, not super original but still subtly unique-- a toy-box simplicity with fat grooves and sugary lines of wordless vocals-- the sort of thing that would fit ever-so-nicely between Jungle Obsession and Umiliani's Africa/Polinesia, without really being more of the same in either (or any) category.

The link below will take you to Boxes of Toys.  Grab the link while it's still live (it's in the comments).  Two things: almost every other track on this album is, in my very humble opinion, even cooler and weirder than the one in the soundcloud sample, so just trust me that this LP is the bizarro bee's knees if you have any doubts.  The other thing: For the love of all things good, be thankful in the comments (specifically over there, not here, though I love and welcome your comments always).  I ask this of you.

TROPICALS

There's lots of great stuff over there too (like this and this), check it all out.  

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never heard of The Tropicals. But the sample track was enough for me to continue on. Thanks for linking.
Jack

nikos said...

thank you very much, another great album! You have one of the greatest blog, Thank you again! Nikos Greece

s. jerry said...

thanks for another upload. looking forward to listening to it.

Anonymous said...

hey are you the one making the collages you use as banners?

Flash Strap said...

Indeed I am.

Anonymous said...

Possible to buy an exclusive piece for a album cover from you?

Flash Strap said...

Exteremely. Let's talk- hit me with your email (I won't publish it) and I'll contact you.

Joe K said...

Thank you so much for all the work, and even more for the enthusiasm you shine on it.

Anonymous said...

wow. amazing record. many thanks for the link

rubén alonso said...

Hello, first of all, Thanks!! for the wonderful music you share in your blog
Thanks to your work I have discovered and enjoyed fantastic albums

i've been developing a new project in the last year and i would like to share it
because it would be impossible without the work that you do

have a happy new year and please... keep doing your marvelous work!! :)

http://www.antropoloops.com


Flash Strap said...

This is a fantastic project, please keep me posted. I'm serious: everyone ought to follow that link.

Well done comrade.

danny segal said...

amazing! beautiful music. thx

behindthecouchcushion said...

my plants say thank u