Good Music We Can Know

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A Polish Moon Over Tahiti: Zespół Instrumentalny Marka Sewena- Księżyc na Tahiti



Another remnant from the sadly departed Sleepy Lagoon, this album has yet to get its due amount of attention from hunters of rare and unusual examples of Exotica.  Księżyc na Tahiti (or Moon On Tahiti) is a classic exotic mishmash of Polynesian/Hawaiian fantasies with the occasional Oriental/Latin piece thrown in, all done in a dreamy easy-listening style that almost bubbles over into too conventional territory.  It doesn't go quite that far into to tame homogeneity (if it did, I wouldn't be talking about it now), and a lot of that is likely due to its country of origin, a land less-often encountered in the annals of Euro-Exotica: Poland.  The result does resemble a more typical 60's easy-listening exotica LP, but with interesting flourishes and more atypical coloring.  It has that sort of alternate-dimension feel to it-- it seems like normal, but not quite our normal. 

    

Highly recommended, loaded with wordless vocals, odd bells and echoey percussion, organ swirls, and dreamy abstractions.  Enjoy. (Unfortunately I don't know much else about this one, its production, or artist.  Fill us in if you have knowledge please.)


Księżyc na Tahiti (320)

15 comments:

Josh said...

Your blog has won over my heart with your illuminated taste and honest, inspired descriptions. All I can offer is some free synth work in return. I'm sure there are a few diamonds in the rough for your audible appetite.

Everything is an instant download from media fuero.

www.thebandoftheworld.com

Thanks for all the wonderful shares!!

yaronimus said...

i agree with josh,
i keep thinking about your blog and your collages, and i'm listening to your uploads quite a lot. what a cultural gem!!! keep on the groove!

Yaronimus from israel.

Fabinho. said...

Que blog massa, parabéns!

s. jerry said...

Thanks for another slice of exotica. i have been here for the past week and gone through everything here. i just want you to know i appreciate what you are doing. i had been listening to some mancini before but you have opened my eyes. thanks again and keep at it.

oh and by the way is there anyway to get your collages and backgrounds im in love.

s. jerry said...

Im not sure if this qualifies as exotica or its more of soundtrack music but thought you might like it.

https://rapidshare.com/files/297105129/Percepcao.zip

mietek said...

Polish vinyl database returns this:
http://www.kppg.waw.pl/plyta.php?plyta=315
so it's from 1969, Marek Sewen was/is just a popular composer/pianist. the record is exactly what you assess it to be - an (un)easy listening LP. sure a pleasure to find, though.

Jah Rizla said...

Great blog my man been on here and d\l tappa zukie Black magic dub while doing some fact finding for a post..........gonna put you on my blog roll hope u dont mind..cheerz JR

i notice you have catchapaz on tried yesterday to sort that out but it bent my head :( no joy

Flash Strap said...

Josh- there's some good stuff over there indeed.

s. jerry and yaronimus- thanks for the kind words about the collage work (it's actually sort of my main bag). I'll have some images online very soon, hopefully, and in a less-immediate time frame I would like to be able to offer repros of my recent labor, a collage book about exotic expedition, for a reasonable price. So stay tuned, if you're interested.

mietek- thanks for the info, brother.

Jah- thanks for the kind words and I'm very happy to be on your blogroll, but I can't quite make out your last sentence. I hope I'm not responsible for giving you a sad face.

Anonymous said...

"11 Stage Lights" wrong in this album, please can you re-upload? thanks

Anonymous said...

11 Stage Lights can you re-upload please?

Flash Strap said...

"Stage Lights"- it's not the upload, i'm afraid, my copy just cuts off a few seconds early.

Savagesaints said...

Great magical blog. You make the day brighter and full of positive energy. I'd like to ask may I borrow your rip of this album with recommendation to your blog of cource. And generally - may I add Flash Strap to the recommended blog on savagesaints blogspot. I will be very grateful.

Flash Strap said...

Go for it, friend Savage, and think nothing of it. My best to you and your excellent blog.

brown beard said...

This is great Flash, thanks for illumination.

AmericanSamourai said...

Thanks, FlashStrap!