Good Music We Can Know

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Here Come the Night Owl: Horace Andy- Skylarking (1972)


The mighty Horace Andy's first LP; you could scarcely ask for a sweeter slice of roots-reggae soul.  Andy's voice is here as crystal-sharp and precise as a stream of icy springwater, and the whole affair is handled with a perfect simplicity.  Tidy trails of echo around the vocals, a crunchy exactness in the guitars, and deep soul grooves with a nascent sense of dread menace emanating from the bass.

The title track is just monstrously classic-- I mean, seriously, it does not get any better than "Skylarking," in terms of Jamaican soul-- but it's far from the only stunner.  Nearly every track is a frank stunner in fact, but the highlights include the stupendous cover of the classic French single, "Mamy Blue" (here "Mamie Blue"), the sexy come-on/break-up of "Night Owl," and the prophesying "Every Tongue Shall Tell."  The album-opener, a surprising, meandering cover of Cat Stevens' "Where Do the Children Play," is likely among the weaker selections on record, but nonetheless fascinating and really quite lovely.  You can't lose with this one.

SKYLARKING (320)

7 comments:

Genius said...

Strappy, I often check your blog and I have always felt that you have fine taste in musics. I had to comment to applaud this post as it is one of my favorite albums of all time! You do great work, keep it up!

Whip Wilson said...

This. This record exists in my memory as something grand I heard once, long ago. Tonight, the night is sultry and this will be its score. Cheers, sir, and many thanks.
-The Whipper

Fantis Bastunis said...

Thanks man!I had it playing all night long.It suits perfect with the weather...

Anonymous said...

Many thanks! MB

Holly said...

An all time fave.
This rip is considerably better than mine. Thank you, Flash!

sash said...

hi
do you know where the album cover was taken?
sash

Jeff said...

Thank you very much, I have missed this album so very much. I used to play this all the time, and I love it's retro sound, that newer recordings don't have. Perfect.