Good Music We Can Know

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Obcure Little Beast on the Prowl: Orera- Orera (1970)


There's a lot of great stuff to be found over at Obscure Little Beasties, much of it original rips (I assume) and of course very obscure (at least it is for me, as I know relatively little about the Russian/Soviet/Eastern European diaspora)-- but since there is almost nothing on the blog in the way of description, it can be a difficult or intimidating sea to navigate.  This is a fine way to run a blog as far as I'm concerned, as I love to spin the wheel and see what emerges from the mystery.  But recently I snagged something so delightful that I wanted to highlight it, ensure you knew about it, and send you all in its direction (and hopefully turn you loose on the wider pastures that Obscure Little Beasties has to offer).

I still know almost nothing about this group, Orera, other than that they are Georgian (perhaps someone out there can better fill me in).  They seem to be practicing a kind of harmony-laden vocal music, blending the (polyphonic?) vocal traditions of their region/culture with the poppy, sunny sensibilities of "sunshine pop" acts like Free Design and the like-- with a good amount of top-notch lite-jazz and Burt Bacharach mixed in.  At times they remind me of a Eurasian Duo Ouro Negro, and while I'm sure that's a shallow comparison, it may be of use in conveying the surface aesthetic at least. 

My inability to intelligently describe or analyze Orera should be clear to you by now, but my perspective isn't really necessary.  Orera are able to advocate for themselves with this video-delight (after which, nothing else really need be said):



Go to Obscure Little Beasties and check this right out, brothers and sisters. 

O R E R A

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obviously I have to have that right away! Devil went down to Georgia!

Mo.

Anonymous said...

OH ME OH MY ORERA!

many thanks for sending this my way, guy.

j.

Flash Strap said...

You guys!

jb said...

I'd also recommend the wonderful Estonian group Collage. Kind of like a darker, stranger, East European version of The Free Design.

Chewy said...

Flash

Flash, to thank you for, and inspired by your many jungle shadows mixtapes, I made you my own mixtape for those sauvage upriver journeys to beastly lands. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

http://www37.zippyshare.com/v/85625514/file.html

-Chewy

PS if it doesn't work leave another comment here and i'll try another site to upload it

R o h a n said...

I love eastern European music and I love sunshine pop and I fucking love the sounds coming out of that video. You are doing the lord's work, Flash. Thanks.

R o h a n said...

Jb (or anyone else who can help) - any links for Collage album downloads? Found a video on YouTube and they sound like just my cup of tea. Anyone?

Flash Strap said...

Thanks, Chewy!

Rohan&Jb: let's find some Collage together.

Flash Strap said...

Found some! That was easy: Obscure Little Beasties was way ahead of us.

http://progresyvusisrokas.blogspot.com/search/label/COLLAGE

R o h a n said...

Well, that was easy. Thanks.

aidas said...

Thanks for your support and kind words. Cheers, Aidas (OLB)

Flash Strap said...

All thanks are due to you, Aidas. You've brought many a treasure to the light, and I thank you heartily.

I'm diggin Flowers Have Eyes this morning, as a matter of fact.

jb said...

Bit late getting back to Rohan's Collage request, but this is where I first found them:

http://quimsy.blogspot.co.uk/2006/05/collage.html

I think the link on there is dead, but seeing as though the music's so great I've uploaded the compilation (perhaps a better place to start than the album on Obscure Little Beasties):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7x6xos

R o h a n said...

You may be late, but I have seen your comment and am downloading the compilation - thanks! I was checking back on this post because I just bought a seventies compilation LP which features yet another band called 'Collage' this time from Italy. Haven't heard that LP yet, so can't speak for the quality of the Italian Collage. One last request, there's an amazing Collage song on YouTube called 'Suur tamm' which doesn't seem to appear on the compilation or the original Beasties link... anyone know where you can find that one?

Thanks again!

SarahDR said...

First of all, thank you so much for all the links! Second, I just wanted to add my two cents, having grown up on this beautiful music. The full name of this group is (translated) "Vocal-Instrumental Ensemble of the Tbilisi Linguistic Institute, Orera". From what my parents told me, "orera" is a jubilant expression in Georgian. The guys who formed the ensemble were linguistics students, which explains the ability to sing in several languages, from Russian to Turkish. Of course, they also did gorgeous renditions of traditional Georgian songs. They both played the instruments and did the vocals. It's great to see this group, fondly remembered by many people of the last generation, being re-discovered and enjoyed today. A very complete source of their music can be found (along with more music of that era and newer stuff) at this link:
http://allmuz.org/melody/%CE%F0%FD%F0%E0
Unfortunately, most of that is in Russian, but Google Translate does a good job of interpreting :)

P.S.- there's some crazy advertising, so just ignore that ;)

calle said...

Doesn t seem to be avalable anymore on obscure little...Would love to hear this.Perhaps someone could supply a link though ?