Good Music We Can Know

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

"The Body Memory of Longing Never Quenched": Gato Barbieri- Bolivia (1973)


"The life-affirming, surging spirit of these performances - with their supple range of colors, rhythms, soaring melodies - is the essence of that basic, visceral beauty that gives hope to lovers and revolutionaries and to all those who believe in real life before death. His music is an embodiment of perennial possibility that is made of blood and flesh rather than vaporous dreams. Gato, in sum, is among the the least abstract of musicians because he is so explosively, specifically alive."- Nat Hentoff, liner notes for Bolivia

If you enjoyed Chapter One: Latin America, you'll certainly love this record.  I think I love it even more-- indeed, it may be my favorite of Gato's albums, and the title track is among his very finest efforts.  If you love Lonnie Liston Smith's first gorgeous Cosmic Echoes record (Astral Traveling), you'll want to hear this immediately (assuming you haven't already, the very idea of which may be a foolish notion on my part). 

Flabbergasted Vibes of course has the post-to-read on this incredible LP, and the download-of-choice, recently re-upped.  Go there today, and pump this passion into your spiritual ears like the liquid tropical sex-gold that it is.  Follow the link below (and thank the fellow).

If the Flabbergast link isn't happening for you, a kind commenter has left an alternate mediafire link in the comments.

BOLIVIA

6 comments:

JP said...

This is great, thanks for posting. Between this, chapter on and chapter two 1973 was a damn good year for gato.

Siphonophoros said...

Flabbergasted's mf dl links are problematic; found this one at oceanos en trance (320):
http://www.mediafire.com/?ab6br2c2sxbftuk
....
I tried this one before... Not sure if my taste has sufficiently matured but will give it another go!

Flabbergast said...

Hey thanks for posting about my (re)post! Such a great record. The link situation is sorted out now. Word of advice - don't bother paying for a Mediafore account unless you can afford Pro, which I can't. I though I'd try their 'Personal' account so that I could have files larger than 200 MB but within four days my monthly badwidth quota was used up (perhaps abetted.by your publicity, ha ha!) So no big deal, just roll it back, right? Not quite. All the files uploaded since the upgrade, includimg small ones, are having problems now. An embarassing situation for me. I've resorted to abandoning that account (which I've had sine 2008) and opening a new "free" account with an alternate email. ... Anyway- links shoild be up now. And- Azar Lawrence coming soon...

Play angry Birds said...

Nice article ..Beautiful stuff...

blue monk said...

Hey I just want to say thanks for putting up all of this music - especially the krautrock albums. This is an amazing resource and I'm so happy to be introduced to artists like Gato Barbieri and Phew! Your writing is also great - you sound like an old friend. Thanks so much!!

Anonymous said...

i just love u and ur blog^^