Good Music We Can Know

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

"Like Tears in Rain": Tomita- Snowflakes Are Dancing (1974)


Here it is, the most beautiful shit ever.  A set of exquisite "virtuoso electronic performances of Debussy's beautiful tone paintings." Tomita's first, and almost certainly best, LP.

If you're unsure whether this is for you-- if you've heard other Tomita, or any of a number of "switched-on" classical records, and been left cold-- all I can say is this: listen to the one-two punch of "Clair de Lune" (towering glacial beauty, utter revelation) and "Arabesque No. 1" (where Tomita's innovative cartoon-robot whistles and coos can be heard in their finest incarnation) and you will certainly be a believer.  Of course the whole record is superb (other standouts include "The Engulfed Cathedral," a Blade Runner-esque doom-dream of stark and moving beauty, and the impossibly elegant "Girl With the Flaxen Hair"), so of course you could just slide in at the beginning and let it take you on that chilly odyssey.  Weep to the electronic sublime, kiss the sweet frozen dew of the flowers of Venus.

You can read up a bit on the technical aspects here.

TOMITA (320)

Thanks to Sid, for playing this to me, lo those many years ago.

3 comments:

burntoutsavannahs said...

dude you got my brother hooked on this record, & he asks me all the time when yr going to follow that post up. needlessto say, yr missed comrade.

Benjamin Martin said...

I would be remiss if I didn't express my deep gratitude and admiration for you and all of the amazing music you have posted here. I am in love with those 2 Gato records, and this Tomita one as well. Can't wait to dig through the rest of your posts!

Anonymous said...

I had purchased this LP a couple of years ago, but unfortunately i was a vinyl rookie then and my copy was virtually unlistenable. Anyway, thanks for giving me a second chance on this! (Huge fan of synthesizers AND debussy).
-brian