Good Music We Can Know

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Sven Libaek: Re-upped and Up-dated



As I've been working through re-ups, so I decided to drop all the Libaek in a handy mega-post, so here you go. I don't have to tell you how much I love this man's work. Everything here is utterly essential.

Put these on some tapes. Put a tape in a waterproofed portable cassette player. Take a small boat or aquatic car out upon the water. Or embark on a desert stroll-- if you have no water-bodies in your region-- or a dune buggy ride. Either way, the adventure shall unfold, with delight and discovery, with the aid of these perfect sounds. Good luck to you.

White Horse and Walkabout are surfing and nature documentary soundtracks, respectively. Full of discovery. Two of the consistently best, most necessary records in his catalog-- masterpieces, really. Both 192.


Inner Space is a shark documentary soundtrack, and it's a giant masterpiece. Some tracks from here notably used for The Life Aquatic. This is the king of underwater music records.

It should be noted that this is not the retrospective comp of the same name (with "Lost Film Music of Sven Libaek" appended to the title)-- this is the original soundtrack album. Also, this is not the original Aussie Festival release with the William Shatner narration included, which is cool too-- you can grab that here, and I highly recommend that you do-- although this one is probably your #1 choice. This rip is courtesy of Owl, from the Holy Warbles days. 320, of course.

INNER SPACE




Sven's audacious symphonic concept piece, thematically focused on the Norwegian's adopted home. Longer compositions, grander ideas, sweeping and epic-- but still the same glorious composer. Truly, he is a god damn secret genius.

AUSTRALIAN SUITE
(320)



Soundtrack to an Australian television series. Very similar to White Horse and Walkabout, with a little more in the way of "action" horns-- but still mostly the Libaek signature sound of outback contemplation and wide-eyed exploration. Used to be hard to find, this one. Really really good.

BONEY (192)





Although perhaps not his most consistent album
, this little treasure nonetheless contains some of his best & coolest tracks, including the superb "Misty Canyon", which is an absolute must-hear.

MY THING (224)




Ostensibly a space-themed Library record, the mood here is actually just as underwater-y as his best work. A lot of great sounding old electronics on here too. Includes "Meteoric Rain," one of his all-time greatest tracks, and many more gorgeous jaw-droppers. 256.

SOLAR FLARES




Certainly this is a hit-or-miss effort from Libaek-- there's a lot of vocal tracks, though they aren't bad at all-- but it still has some really cool stuff. One of his best pieces ever is here, the amazing "News From the Exchange." Try it.

Rip originally uploaded by Digital Meltd0wn, check him out and say thanks. You can also check out a longer post on this LP, by me, here.

NICKEL QUEEN
(320)



Another great soundtrack, this one to a sort of Australian counterculture film. A surprisingly wide range of emotions and evocations of scene and mood can be found within these 19 selections, all delivered in a warm, jazzy, smoky sound. Velvety, even. Marvellously sophisticated stuff, even for Libaek. Fuckin' fabulous.

Again, I've written a bit more on this one here.

THE SET (192)





Mr. Libaek's phenomenal first record, available over at Urban Bowerbird, a fantastic Australian music blog. This one is rare as hen's teeth and utterly sublime to boot-- a real holy grail. Go there, thank the man, and check out his other treasures.

SVEN LIBAEK at URBAN BOWERBIRD

There's a few other Libaek and Libaek-related things there, including these items:



27 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're missing the link for "the set"

Flash Strap said...

Fixed it

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for r-eupping! Great Stuff!!!!

Nick

Anonymous said...

Ooops no new new link for Inner Space.

Best,
Nick

Flash Strap said...

dammit

inner space link is fixed

walkingtrees said...

big ups!

R o h a n said...

Thanks for the plug Flash, and thanks for keeping Sven accessible! B the W, I just found an old Standard Library record rip which has a couple of tracks from both Sven and John Sangster from their golden-era in the mid-seventies.

Check it out here: http://djmarselluswallace.blogspot.com.au/2010/08/standard-music-library-esl-126.html

I haven't listened to these tracks much, but on initial listening it sounds like good stuff. Also, I just recently bought 'Seasons Of Love' - an interesting Libaek record which features some of his original compositions accompanying REALLY bad Rod McKuen-esque poetry read by a guy named Gerard Kennedy - which I will be ripping and uploading soon.

Flash Strap said...

Thanks for the tip, Rohan! I must have seen that LP over at Marsellus' place and totally whooshed by it like a fool... good Libaek tracks and really good Sangsters, as well.

I'll be interested to hear "Seasons of Love"-- I've rarely been let down by Mr. Libaek. Though I have to say, "Bill Collin's Favorite Movie Themes" is a bit of a snooze. And I've never heard "Grass"

parenting skills said...

Nice post. Keep it up.

R o h a n said...

As much as I love Libaek, there is definitely a clearly defined time period of quality output and it stops pretty much at the end of the final track of 'Solar Flares'. After that he got into easy listening covers and muzak and it's just not the same. Although, I do have a record of his called 'I Love Australian Movies' which I'm interested to hear as it has one of his later, original compositions on it amongst the covers. Haven't actually listened to it though, despite it sitting in my cabinet for months.

'Seasons Of Love' is... interesting. Libaek's music is good, as good as you would expect for his output in 1972 (one year before Inner Space). However, the accompanying poetry read by Gerard Kennedy is APPALLING. It is, in all seriousness, what must be the worst poetry I have ever heard. So that makes for one interesting, at times laugh out loud, strange listening experience.

Flash Strap said...

Hahahaha I can't wait hear this poetastrophe! Sounds as though it could be sublime in its awfulness.

Stas59 said...

This is brilliant thank you. Only discovered Libaek's music recently through the excellent Night Air Podcast. Sven Libaek is interviewed on the podcast and comes across as a really friendly unassuming guy, very passionate about his music and very complimentary to the musicians he worked with and their contribution.

Here is the link: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/nightair/library-music/4110132

R o h a n said...

I now have the aforementioned Libaek oddity 'Seasons Of Love' up on Urban Bowerbird - http://urbanbower.blogspot.com.au - for those interested.

Anonymous said...

just found your blog, i'd never heard of it before but i really dig what you're up to.
Just wanted to say thanks a lot, i have a hard time finding some of the stuff i found here.
p.s. - sorry for the poor grammar, english is not my mother tongue.

Frank M. Young said...

I plotzed when I stumbled on this post! I was happy to have a better version of "White Horse," but all these other Libaek albums... I'm sideswiped with sheer joy! Thank you thank you thank yooooooo!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

Gekko P. said...

Thanks a lot for all these fantastic records. Been going through them all day, really awesome sounds.

Gekko P. said...

Ok, sorry if I'm writing here again. I'll never be able to thank you enough for this collection. I usually love everything you put on here, but I'm becoming especially attached to Libaek music. It's what I need when I come back from work, a real sweet treat to forget the stress of everyday life. In fact, it's on right now and it's hard to tell how good listening to it makes me feel.

So well, sorry if I'm writing pretty much on your blog lately, but it's all your fault! You're sharing too many good records, man ;)

Flash Strap said...

Gekko P., you are always a welcome voice at this spot. Thanks for the kind words, brother.

Muff Diver said...



When I saw all these Libaek LPs together on the same page, I had a conniption! Be still, my beating heart...

Then, EVERY LINK is still working!! This is truly remarkable, a Libaek goldmine and this blog. I may still need CPR, I'm taking all this kinda slow...

Thanks for your blog and the tasty Libaeks :)

AC said...

I'd like to add my thanks, cheers so much for your efforts!

Can I ask a favour though? In this post you link to Marsellus Wallace's blog, where he had a copy of the rare Festival version of Inner Space soundtrack featuring William Shatner's voiceover. That link is long dead... if you have a copy, would you mind adding it here too? Thanks loads!!!

Paul Harvey said...

When I saw this below, I thought of this post but then read in the comments that Rohan had already made a rip of the album, but still, with the way blogs can disappear at a moment's notice, at least there is two rips doing the blog rounds:

http://mrweirdandwacky.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/gerard-kennedy-with-sven-libaek-seasons.html

Anonymous said...

Many thanks kind sir

Mischa said...

Hi Flashstrap, just realized I hadn't downloaded all of your Sven Libaek records. Jezus, "the set" is a masterpiece...
I'm going to have a great day today listening to Nickel queen & Boney for the first time...:-)
You wouldn't have a rip of the illusive LP "Ski with the Saints" of Libaek would you ?
Heard about it and tried to find it somewhere on the net but to no avail...
Kind regards from Amsterdam, the Netherlands, where we have a grey & rainy day today, tropical foggy...

Mischa.

Ed said...

seriously, thank you so much for these!
phenomenal music

DOJA said...

Yo much love for this.

Setibeatmaker said...

Thank you very much!!! I really needed this collection!