Good Music We Can Know

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Three Exotic KPM Trips: Rogerio Duprat-Brazilian Suite; Les Baxter- Bugaloo in Brazil; Alan Parker & John Cameron- Afro Rock

In response to an anonymous request for Rogerio Duprat's 1970 KPM library LP Brazilian Suite, I present: Rogerio Duprat's 1970 KPM library LP Brazilian Suite. For me, this is one of those things you download, listen to distractedly once, and never again. I think I've been filing it in the part of my brain that's labelled "too much horns? or not- i don't know man worry about it later", so this was a nice opportunity to give it a second chance and a good listen. I like it. I think a lot of other people will probably like it more than I do. There's a delicate, exotic quality to a lot of the arrangements, making it a somewhat classic intersection of Tropicalia and Production music (of the more soundtrack-esque variety). I do think some of the horns are only so-so, but whatever. It's a good record, especially for fans of 70's Brazilian music.

This rip came from Loronix, a wonderful Brazilian music blog that has since sunk into the tar pits of inactivity, its download links lapsing into dust. So I offer here Loronix's 320 rip for resurrection, although I think I remember EXP ETC has a rip of this one too. I don't know if it's the same, or worse, or better. Or anything.

BRAZILIAN SUITE
(320)

Now that we're on this thread, though, let's move on to another 1970 KPM release, from none other than one of my personal favorite artists, the legendary Les Baxter. I don't have a lot of info to share about this release. In fact, it's a total mystery to me. I will say this: of Mr. Baxter's later work, this is a towering success; within the context of his entire career, this can still be considered numbered among the essentials. It's similar in tone to his soundtrack to the film Bora Bora (but more complex and interesting), with Baxter's classic Exotica tropes and production style (minus the huge orchestra, of course) meeting somewhat heavier beats and a "hipper" sound. While this successful blend of eras makes the record fairly unique, I have to say, if I wasn't listening carefully, I might easily mistake this for Golden-Age Baxter. It's kind of a masterpiece, guys, but I do have a habit of calling Les Baxter records masterpieces. After all, he is a fucking master.

BUGALOO IN BRAZIL (320)

And just for good measure, you can zip on over to EXP ETC and grab his rip of a 1973 KPM LP from Alan Parker & John Cameron, Afro Rock. It's pretty damn good, too, and a lot of fun to hear. Some of it is sort of run-of-the-mill library/soundtrack funk, which I can take or leave since I don't sample beats, but it has its true moments of transcendence that aren't to be missed. Especially the track, "Heat Haze." I mean, it might not be Jungle Obsession, but what is?

AFRO ROCK

5 comments:

The Sleepy Lagoon said...

Hi flashstrap, I made a post with the Miriam Burton-Album. Get it there...

I have no talent to write, so I'm happy when you do a post and write something about this album...

The Sleepy Lagoon

edlorado said...

thanks again great stuff!

dj no breakfast said...

hi i am new to your blog but i love these library tropical gems .. .could you re-up the bRAZILAIN SUITE please . thanks for your efforts, much appreciated here! Keep the good stuff coming in

dj no breakfast said...

here a project made exclusively from easy listening and library music and found super familly footages ...
http://vimeo.com/65031963

Guitarradeplastico your favorite musician said...

many thanks for Bugaloo in Brazil,I have only Duprat Brazilian Suite ( one favorite album )