Good Music We Can Know

Friday, September 30, 2011

Vampire Bow: Noel Ellis- Noel Ellis (1983)


I don't have a lot to say about this one except that I've been digging it surprisingly hard, of late. Noel is the son of Alton Ellis, of considerably greater fame, but this record is a giant winner. The songs are long, dubby, and gritty-- the production value is serious and unadorned, almost black and white, like a xerox of the original-- and Noel's delivery is winningly mysterious in all his mystic repetitions. The big highlights here are "Marcus Garvey", which I can't seem to stop playing (partly because I'm fascinated by the curious figure of Mr. Garvey himself), "To Hail Salassie", and the weird-ass "Rocking Universally"

NOEL ELLIS

4 comments:

øשlqæda said...

love this cat's laidback style & the crumbling, leftfield production. rocking university's a winner too, course

Flash Strap said...

Yeah, that's a good one too. The dude's just got good flavor on his side.

tek said...

i love your blog- have for a long time but never have commented. really jammin on the "jamaican" label right now.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great work. I'm a cabbie in Dublin, Ireland and love dubbing my head off at night. It really chills me out.