Good Music We Can Know

Monday, May 2, 2011

A Fine Safari Indeed: Flash Strap Mix #1- Grzimek Safari


Ok, so this is the first of a short series of mixes I'm thinking of doing. There's been a rapturous surplus of truly great music congregating openly in these waters of late, and I just sort of got the urge to throw together a mix in recognition of this bounty. Perhaps, too, it is necessary for me to commemorate a personal moment: this week my Safari, having spent a few weeks collapsed in the dust like a toothless elephant, came back from the shop all patched up, just as functional and pretty as a pony. It was a day that ensured my ability to go on many more motor safaris through the Mexican Serengeti, a tape in the deck and pulqué in the jar. Not only that, I can once again drive my boat (The Continente Nero, a Seahawk Series II 9-foot inflatable rowboat- I assure you it is thoroughly awesome and definitely hilarious) to the presa and hunt for shoreline ruins and tribes of goats. So I'm feeling positive about the future.

This is not just a compilation of twenty-one excellent songs, cleverly assembled and sequenced so as to afford an enjoyable hour-and-some-change of superlative musical diversion. It also, more importantly, provides an opportunity to trace back thru the blogs to find the context and albums-in-entirety of any songs that may strike your fancy; click on a track from the playlist below, and you'll find a link back to the source from whence, for me, these shining jewels originated. The majority of these sources are wonderful blogs, and while most of them get more traffic than my own on the whole, I nobly urge you to visit them, enjoy their bounty, and give thanks where you feel it is due. Then, you know, come back and say hey.

This is the first of what could be several, if there's any interest. Vol. 2 is due to drop in a couple weeks regardless of y'all's fervor or indifference, but after that we can talk.


1. Fear Not- Daniel Higgs
2. Get Thy Bearings- Donovan
3. Contemplating Mind- Barrington Spence
4. Come Show Me The Way- Disco Blaze
5. Andalucia- Ranil y Su Conjunto Tropical
6. Pauline- Docteur Nico/Orchestra African Fiesta
7. My Mary (More Than Ever)- Jade
8. Domain of the Nadir Pasha- Dzhavanshir Kuliyev
9. Baia- Jose Oliveira
10. Funerale Di Un Contadino- Chico Buarque & Ennio Morricone
11. Phir Teri Yaad- Hemant Bhosle
12. Quicksand Beach Party- Missing Brazilians
13. Bogey Wobble- Paul McCartney
14. Blind- Deep Purple
15. I've Got Lightning- David Bowie
16. Techniques Special- Techniques All Stars
17. Ballake- Bembeya Jazz National
18. Cumulonimbus- Zru Vogue
19. Beautiful Black Woman- The Jihad
20. My Tane- Johnny Pineapple And His Orchestra
21. Til I Die (Desper mix)- The Beach Boys

GRZIMEK SAFARI


By the way, the image on the cover is a photo of famed zoologist Bernhard Grzimek zipping towards Uganda's Murchison Falls in his amphibious car. In my best moments, I think I can almost smell the shadow of something so great as this. I wonder if there's a tape deck in that thing.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, sweet. thank you

Robby said...

Beautiful idea, and a damn fine mix. Honored to be among the chosen ones. Here's to many more years of Safari-cruising.

Michael said...

That van is a safari temple. May it rumble endlessly across cobble grave stones.

Anonymous said...

Took a puff on the mix, and it's got me scraping through palm leaves, dodging taxis, and sipping saucers of yak milk!

The witch has brewed the baddest batch!!!

Mo.

Anonymous said...

This is very cooool!
I really enjoyed this one,
Many thanks for making this mix.
Hope to hear you mix some more!
Cheers
MAX

Anonymous said...

excellent mix.
turned me on to some great new stuff.
thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the inspired mix. Love the album cover image, too.

Holly said...

Coming late to the party and am excited - these mixes are going to provide my listening pleasure over the next several evenings. Based on the songs I know, I'll love discovering the others :-)

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Takes some time to start up, but that led to some definite highs here man! And the ending version of Til I Die positively relaxed and blew off my head. Wow.

Rich said...

Just discovered this mix from Meatskull - I'm loving it - will check out others now :)

Rich said...

Just discovered this mix via Meatskull - I'm loving this mix - will check out your other mixes now :)