Good Music We Can Know

Sunday, April 3, 2011

"This Ain't Rock n' Roll, This is in Direct Violation of International Law": David Bowie- Shadow Man (1971), Strange Fascination (1974)


Shadow Man is supposedly six unreleased Bowie outtakes from the Hunky Dory period. A little rough around the edges, and as much akin to Man Who Sold the World rough drafts or Arnold Corns demos as anything off Hunky Dory, a few of these tracks are nonetheless essential, delicious Bowie secrets for any Fan of the Man.

The track "Looking For a Friend" can be heard elsewhere (in less clunky form) on Bowie at the Beeb, but the rest are otherwise previously unbeknownst to me in any other ramification (except for "Tired of My Life", which contains prominent lyrical components of the much later "It's No Game" from Scary Monsters). Especially cool is the chugging mutant psych-blues of "I've Got Lightning"-- when I listen to Man Who Sold the World, I wish the whole record might have sounded more like this.

1. I'm Just Looking for a Friend
2. How Lucky You Are
3. Shadow Man
4. I've Got Lightning
5. Rupert The Riley
6. Tired of my Life

SHADOW MAN




Here's a fantastic soundboard bootleg of a '74 live show in LA. There's lots of Diamond Dogs material here, including a pretty solid rendition of the "Sweet Thing" suite. Diamond Dogs is one of my favorite records, possibly my favorite "non-Berlin-period" Bowie effort, so I embrace with wide open arms the chance to hear some quality recordings of the Diamond Dogs tour, which I understand is a fairly rare proposition. I just recently started listening to this one, but it's quickly risen to become one of my favorite live Bowie recordings, bootleg or official.

Other highlights include "Big Brother", the criminally underappreciated Young Americans outtake "It's Gonna Be Me" (holy holy that's a good track), virtually everything else from Diamond Dogs, and the always welcome "Time" and "Rock n' Roll Suicide".

CD 1
Intro
1984
Rebel Rebel
Moonage Daydream
Sweet Thing
Changes
Suffragette City
Aladdin Sane
All The Young Dudes
Cracked Actor
Rock And Roll With Me

CD 2
Knock On Wood
It's Gonna Be Me
Space Oddity
Diamond Dogs
Big Brother
Time
The Jean Genie
Rock 'n' Roll Suicide
John I'm Only Dancing (Again)

I got both of these gems from World of Bowie Bootlegs, so make sure to pay the place a visit. 320.

STRANGE FASCINATION
: Part 1Part 2 (Links Fixed)

Hey y'all, don't be afraid to drop a comment, now. We were doing so good there for a while.

12 comments:

Holly said...

Just dled Shadow Man, looking forward to listening later this evening. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

i had a nagging feeling: what's missing in my google reader? then i realized.

you,
j.

Dr Hank said...

How extremely cool. Thank you sir!

Tweedster said...

can't wait to check these out, andi'm psyched about finding the blog - the whole thing is a treasure trove!!!

many thanks

Anonymous said...

hi flashstrap
they killed your link, or something else maybe, dont know, but you made me really curious lookin forward listening this one and then, ups, no. i ll come back anyway.
greets and thanks for all your work:)!!!

Flash Strap said...

Shadow Man link is fine... the Strange Fascination links do seem to be acting weird, though. It's on zippyshare's end, but I don't think it's a removal or anything. I'll fix it if I have to, but it may resolve itself.

Flash Strap said...

fixed those links for ya

Anonymous said...

LA PARTE 1 NO FUNCIONA LO PUEDES BAJAR OTRA VEZ GRACIAS

Flash Strap said...

fixed it

dugg said...

wow- this looks like a great set list from a very vital period. i never got to see Bowie live until Serious Moonlight si I'm very much looking forward to the listen here. Thanks!
respect,
d

Joleta said...

Thanks for all the wonderful music.

Anonymous said...

Zippy links are dead.