Good Music We Can Know

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Altered Exotica- Flash Strap Presents Exotiste 2: Schooner in the Mist-Snakes Among the Gods (2011)


Due to what seemed like pretty good feedback, and a somewhat surprising download rate, I decided to go ahead and finish my second volume in the Exotiste series. Exotiste 2: Schooner in the Mist- Snakes Among the Gods is now here, and trippier than its predecessor. I really am quite pleased with it, myself. If you indulge this, and like it, there may well be more in the future, as I find I'm becoming slightly obsessed with this process of slow-and-lowing these pristine Space Age concoctions and watching them uncurl into sprawling jungle-doldrum purple poison-potion hallucinations.

The other night the dogs caught a desert hare and brought it into the yard, but didn't eat it. They just stood watch over its noble corpse. To honor their kill, and its sacrifice, we built a funeral pyre and sent it, ashen and ablaze, to the Gods, glowing in the Mexican night... along with the accompaniment of cocktails and herbs strange, what sounds do you think augmented the magic of the air? Exotiste. EXOTISTE.

Try it on for size, if you please! Set your schooner adrift in the mist, experience your man-made fantasy as it becomes lost on the purple clouds and enters the native land of myth, exploring the unknown depths-- until you find yourself at the foot of the temple, surrounded by snakes mating in massive balls, amassed in erotic worship of the Exotic Gods.



Tracklist:

1. Paradise Cove- The Surfmen
2. Strange Echoes- Frank Hunter
3. Moon Mist- Out Islanders
4. Bali H'ai- Tak Shindo
5. Medley: Rain Forest/Rain in Rangoon/Rain- Les Baxter/Markko Polo/Les Baxter
6. Taboo- Ferrante & Teicher
7. Song of the Bayou- Martin Denny
8. Saycusca! (The Weary Stones)- Elizabeth Waldo
9. Bahia- Michel Magne
10. Happy Voodoo- Arthur Lyman
11. Spellbound Concerto- Marty Manning
12. Moonflowers- Warren Barker
13. Perfidia- Xavier Cugat
14. The Ancient Galleon- Les Baxter
15. Ecstasy- Les Baxter & Bas Sheva
16. Bora Bora- Les Baxter
17. Babalu- Stanley Black

EXOTISTE 2

(REUPPED)

14 comments:

Martooni said...

Thanks for sharing! Will give a shot. Spellbound Concerto looks interesting.

iggy said...

Thanks so much for your "Exotiste" compilations. It's great hearing all my favorites in a new and interesting playing order. I appreciate your kindness and generosity. See you again soon.

Iggy

Murky Recess said...

O no you didn't! Can't wait to hear it, brother. You got me thinking now it might be time to brush the dust off my second run of chichas moradas and send them out into the uncaring world. Thanks a lot for sharing. Here's one hazy holler for Exotiste 3!

Anonymous said...

I'm only at track 2 but this indeed is another gem! Greate writeup too. It indeed is mystifying and perhaps more exotic than some of the originals were.

wackystuff said...

I really enjoyed listening to both of your Exotiste volumes. Some of it reminds me of one of my favorite bands: Bohren und Der Club de Gore.

Anonymous said...

This, I think, is the finest kind of retrospection -- wherein something is dug up not to be taste publick'd and nostalgia-mummified, but precisely to free it from those restraints ... because it's a lot fuggin' weirder than anyone remembers. Cheers.

M. Judge
The Nerve Institute

Holly said...

I am incredibly excited about this - thank you so much!

And Murky, if you're here, a 2nd volume of Purple Chicha would totally make my day ;-)

Flash Strap said...

Thank you all for these kind and insightful musings-- I would do this nonsense even without your humbling and generous comments, but you make it spiritually rewarding. I love you, caballeros and gentlewomen. Truly you are my internet friends.

Echoing Holly's sentiments, Mr. Murk: In the name of all that's holy, Purple Chicha 2 must come to pass. Volume 1 has been taped, and plays in my GMC Safari's cassette deck as I rumble through the Mexican landscape. It is perfect and right, and we are all desirous of another volume.

Murky Recess said...

Many thanks, friends, for the kind words. Mr. Strap, the idea of you cruising to my tape in your Safari pleases me unto death. I make the promise now to both of yall that I'll finish Purple Chicha 2, inspired in no small part by these transcendently fucked up Exotiste volumes. First, however, I'm fixing to put up a compilation of songs from my favorite Cambodian pop singer, which will hopefully abate my obsession with him/her for the while.

Flash Strap, if ever you'd like to swap back and forth our more outlandish experiments, I'd love to hear what you've been playing with on the peripheral. I can easily imagine you making insane kosmische gehackt und geschraubt!

Alain said...

haven't played this yet but I love the selections. This would be a great comp straight up.

Flash Strap said...

I'd love to, Murky. I've been working on an Afro-Kraut slyrrup comp- stretching afro and kraut jams across space and time to ensure their kinship is intuitively felt in the blood.

Would die to know what diamond skeletons you still have in the closet. Let us be in touch, using email.

Wilbo said...

What a terrific blog this is. Thank you so much for introducing me to many overlooked gems.
Your 2 collections of slowed down exotica have been on a loop on my garden speakers since I downloaded them a month ago. They truly transform the place into a magical forrest. Possums , raccoons and other nighttime creatures seem to take an interest as well since they show up more than usual.

Do you have any more Altered Exotica in the works?

Esteban Tenedor said...

Te lo agradezco inmensamente!!!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Convivial Cannibal Clan said...

This is beautiful friend.