Good Music We Can Know

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Don Cherry: Om Shanti Shanti Om


Here is an excellent video of Don Cherry performing for television in 1976. I don't know anything else about the circumstances here, but the performance and music is electrifying. Don Cherry is one of my very favorites, and this is prime 1970s Cherry: international players and multi-ethnic traditions, spiritual pocket trumpet solos, and lots of vocals. At the end it segues into a bit of music from his album, Brown Rice, but the rest of it isn't on any album I've heard. Does anyone know if this track is on record anywhere?






UPDATE:
Generous reader Joandleefe has left a link to the Don Cherry album Actions in the comments. Check it out. Fans of Eternal Rhythm will note a similarity in the scale Cherry is playing around with, and fans of European vocal jazz will enjoy the singing throughout. It's really cool, classic Cherry stuff.

Here's a newer link: ACTIONS (160)

5 comments:

joandleefe said...

Check out Cherry and Penderecki's "Actions". At about the 9:30 mark of the first track, "Humus".

Here's the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?svvzmmzszzd

Flashstrap said...

Nice. Thanks... the vocal repetition reminds me of the main motif on Eternal Rhythm. This seems like a great album, also. Thanks again.

d said...

I am obsessed with this video too, I love every moment of it. I have the same question about it and would like to know, please, if you got to know anything else about it. The main music theme comes I think from "Tantra", the opening song in "Relativity Suite", you can check it out here:
http://thebrewingluminous.blogspot.com/2007/04/don-cherry-relativity-suite.html
The rest, especially the vocal delivery, is unknown to me and is beautiful beyond belief. Sounds like it could be some spiritual chant.

Thanks for the post,
d

DrEyescope said...

Hi- I recognize this main theme (the sung chant "om shanti shanti om") as "Solidarity" and it appears on record in a beautiful duet with Ed Blackwell on "El Corazon" released by ECM in about 1980.
I highly recommend this intimate album.
Also (in case the above link gets iced by mediafire) I posted a 320 vinyl rip of "Actions" back in Dec 2011 or so at A Closet Of Curiosities. Thanks for the link to ACOC in the "blogs I like" column here!
Good luck and best wishes.

BAIABOYISBACK said...

http://baiaboyisback.blogspot.fr/2014/10/don-cherry-brown-rice-1975.html