Good Music We Can Know

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Spiritual Jazz Obsession: Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda- Divine Songs (1987)


If you have never heard the fantastic spiritual jazz or devotional music of Alice Coltrane, then there is a universe of beauty in store for you. I think her best jazz efforts are on the fantastic Journey into Satchidananda-- a masterpiece in every sense which finds her playing mostly harp alongside some of the best work Pharaoh Sanders has ever done-- but Divine Songs, for me, is undoubtedly her best devotional record.  Not that that's an easy call.

Here is an amazing cassette rip of Divine Songs that I found at Ile Oxumare. Go there and get it from him, it's just amazingly good, then poke around his blog, which is full of treasures (edit: this is no longer possible, and his blog is now-invitation-only).

This tape is very rare and mostly consists of Alice's rich, soulful intonations and eastern-style gospel vocals over drones, choruses, and synths in a manner so achingly tasteful and spiritual and masterful and deep... I can't fathom a universe where it only exists in cassette form. Oh, God! It's like the feeling of standing on the edge of a cliff with strong wind all around you yet somehow feeling no fear, only a transcendent exhilaration. Exceptionally good. So thank you, Il Oxumare, and the universe thanks you.

DIVINE SONGS
(320)

11 comments:

joandleefe said...

The file seems to be password protected.

gog said...

yeah
whats the passwerd?

Flashstrap said...

Apologies, guys! I forgot about the p-word, which is "allpraisesdue"

if that doesn't work, I'll re-up it passwordless.

William said...

Wen't on a download spree on your blog thinking I was in good hands since you posted »Discover America«. Turns out I was. This tape is a rare find. Thanks for working the blogosfaere.

el nejo said...

Thanks a lot for this one!

Liz said...

Hi - so sorry, but link not working for Divine Songs. Oh how I would love to be able to download this album! Many thanks!

disorientalism said...

Download link's working, Liz!

Flash Strap said...

Ah yes, I forgot to mention! I reupped that one for you, Liz

Anonymous said...

I'm grateful to hear the music, THANK YOU, however, there is a some distortion, particularly on my favorite track (track 4). I doubt it would be in the original recording, so I assume the record levels during transfer were too high. I would love to hear the original fidelity if you or anyone knows another source? (Or perhaps a re-transfer?)

paul said...

wow. thank you.

Mathew Gomes said...

the internet is so deep. i love this